Alone Time

Is it possible to write something about nothing?

Day in and day out, we’re smothered with noise. Whether it’s noise coming from external sources like cars, buses, bustling crowds, and construction, or internal sources like our headphones, our thoughts, and our memories, there’s always something to listen to. 

It becomes so much sometimes that I’ve come to view silence as cathartic.

There’s a reason why people like escaping to the middle of forests, far sides of remote beaches, and less-traveled mountaintops. Of course, the natural beauty of it all is the main reason. But I feel the reason these places feel like escapes is the silence they offer. 

All you have to contend with in your escape is the chirping of birds and insects in the forest, the wooshing of waves on the sand, or the low hum of wind on the mountaintop. 

No one’s aggressively asking you to excuse them, no one’s peddling half-hearted sorries in exchange for bumps in your side in the stairwell, no one’s voice is in your head wondering if everyone else can tell you’ve had the worst morning. It’s just you and an inanimate third party.

I’m still looking for ways to bring more silence into my everyday life. While it’s hard to square that with my short attention-span and love for learning, the positive effects silence has for my mental health are undeniable. Trying to give myself more time alone – and I mean really alone, away from podcasts, TV shows, social media, and the like – is one of my goals for the last couple months of the year.

I guess the other extreme is bad too. If you're always alone and never get bloated from the noise in the first place, some excitement and togetherness probably doesn't sound half-bad. But for myself and my friends in the middle of what's supposed to be the best time of our lives every day of every week, there's a lot of pressure to always have noise around you. I don't think that's perfectly healthy either.

I hate when people chalk things up to the phrase "It's really about finding that balance" like they're adding anything meaningful to the discussion because it always is. Like maybe not for deciding if murder is okay or if racism is wrong but for most complex things in our complex society today, there's no one right answer. 

All that said, I'll be that guy and say it is about finding the balance that works for you personally between noise and silence. The difference though, is that I don't think I'm being profound by saying that you might have a different opinion than me. 

With that, I’ll wrap up and give you some time alone. If you want it.

Comments

  1. Hey Taylor,

    I'm one of those people that enjoy escaping into nature to find peace and silence away from such a busy world. I'm curious to hear how incorporating more silence into your everyday life end ups working out for you and your mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor - you make an excellent point about striking a balance to preserve our mental health. As an introvert, I tend to lean towards silence - I seem to achieve 'peace from mind' when I remove myself from all the 'noise.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taylor, this is such a great post! not only the content of it but I thought you are a great writer. My words for this year were silence, and exhale, which I forgot about haha but your post definitely brought me back, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taylor, fantastic read. I love the content, but also the message behind the writing in which life moves so fast everyday, and sometimes you just need to take a deep breathe to take it all in. Your post helped me center myself for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Taylor, I love the ending to this post, I feel like it ties everything up nicely. As an introvert, I definitely enjoy my fair share of alone time. I however, have yet to spend time alone with nature, maybe I should try that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Taylor! This is definitely an amazing goal to have and something I should work on as well. I feel like I'm always listening to music or scrolling on TikTok so finding quiet time is definitely important for reflection

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Random Post 2: Optimization

AMDP Proposal Draft

World We Imagine - Part 1