We're All Actors
Putting the Rabbit in the Hat, by Brian Cox The second half was a lot less interesting than the first – and that’s probably on me. Perhaps if I was a film buff or knew any of the names Cox mentions in each chapter, I would find the book more intriguing. But because I’m very much a product of the 21st century with little cultural knowledge of iconic British, Scottish, and American actors in classic films and plays, he could have been making up names and stories for all I would’ve known. However, as a humble optimist at heart, I made my best attempt to find something valuable to take out of the rest of the piece and succeeded with flying colors. I found two. The first was learning Cox’s unique writing style. While he doesn’t necessarily write the way he would speak, the sophistication of the words he uses juxtaposed with the mundane or comedic tone of many of his adventures makes for great comedy. I couldn’t care less whether Cox was talking about this person or that and what pieces they were best known for directing, but I found it much more bearable to picture an unamused Brian Cox reacting to things of minor annoyance. Like an overbearing director over-explaining how to do a part, only for Cox to mock him and get in big trouble. Funny and bearable, even to a half-conscious Gen Z’er like me. The second was his addendum at the close of the book, where he talked about how much insecurity comes with being an actor. How you’re constantly putting yourself in vulnerable states for criticism from all angles. This was something I could appreciate and relate to, as many interactions in the business world function in similar ways. Most prominently in the rush process for investment banks and consulting firms euphemistically called “behavioral interviews,” but also in everyday office interactions and social dynamics. We’re all actors in our own ways. We act a certain way in the workplace, a different way around our friends, and a different way when we’re trying to fake sobriety to our parents. A little forgiveness, then, is in order for ourselves and those actors around us constantly putting themselves in vulnerable positions.
Hi Rear-View Mirror, I really enjoyed your honest takeaways! I'm a huge fan of Cox's role in
ReplyDelete"Succession" so it's interesting to see that his sarcastic humor is found in his writing as well.
Hi Taylor! Great post. I really enjoyed reading this post because I didn't choose this book myself. I'm glad you enjoyed the second half of the book better. I have always had Succession on my watch list and this made me want to watch it more!
ReplyDeleteRear View Mirror,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post! I didn’t choose this book, but I enjoyed the way you described Cox’s description of being an actor. I also liked how you applied that definition to your own life. I never thought about it, but I guess we all are our actors in society.
Hey Taylor. This was a great read. I think it is great that you tried to find the positives in the second half. I love how you ended the post explaining that everyone in a way is an actor without even realizing it.
ReplyDelete