Who I Am Matters

I’m Truly Unbearable

I was born and raised in Orange County, California, in a town called Fountain Valley with a decently sized Asian-American population. Living close to the largest Vietnamese community in the world outside of Vietnam itself, Little Saigon, I was influenced by an intermingling of Vietnamese and American cultures. 


My father immigrated on a boat with his parents after being suspected of being capitalist sympathizers during the Vietnam War, and through the hardships he and his family faced learning to live in a completely new environment, developed an unrelenting work ethic and a pervasive sense of responsibility. On the other hand, my mother grew up in a single-parent household in Long Beach, valuing socialization, living in the moment, and caring for others. 


I’m very much a product of both of these experiences – the drive of my father and the extrovertedness of my mother have combined to create someone truly unbearable. 





This Life Is My Own


Like my mother, I enjoy getting to know people and cherish new experiences, but the work ethic I learned from my father keeps me on track to achieving my goals. I say “my” goals intentionally; from my mid-teenage years, I’ve distanced myself from the life paths of my parents and aspired for something to call my own.


Returning from an internship where the work I contributed to is hardly explicable to anyone outside the finance industry, I think I’ve done a good job so far. For the foreseeable future, moving to New York after graduation to continue working with my employer from the summer is the plan.





What I Want To Become


One of the reasons I’m excited to return to the east coast is the people I met while I was there. A particularly prominent mentor and role model for me over the past year has been a man named Bobby. Bobby’s high up in the organizational hierarchy at the company I worked at, but no matter how busy he gets, he always finds time in his schedule to catch up with me and offer his advice on decisions I’m facing.


He was so enthusiastic about this that sometimes, he would schedule time and offer insight on things I hadn’t even asked about. His generosity with the little time he had and his genuine passion for lifting up the next generation of employees at the firm are two things I want to emulate as I grow older and busier. 


My Nature


I feel a special connection to tigers - they seem like real all-around players in nature and are orange, which is my favorite color.


On a completely unrelated note, as a child my parents used to bring my sister and I on road trips to explore national parks in the U.S. One particularly memorable experience was driving through the hollowed out trunk of a tree in California’s Redwood Forest. Not sure what was so exciting about that, other than the takeaway that there are some really massive trees there. 


Sun: Taurus

Moon: Virgo

Rising: Leo




Comments

  1. Hey Taylor, interesting read! I am also a byproduct of refugees who escaped the Vietnam War, so I understand the mixture of Vietnamese yet American influences on one's childhood. I'm a business student and I'm also interested in the finance industry. Could you see yourself living in New York for the rest of your life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taylor, great job on your post! That is so awesome that you enjoyed your internship so much in NYC that you plan on moving back. I have always wanted to move to NYC post-college, but a part of me is so scared... I don't know if I can handle those harsh winters LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taylor, I really enjoyed reading your post. It was great to read about how in tune you are with your family history/culture. I really respect how you are able to commemorate the work ethic that your parents posses, while still striving to create your own journey with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Taylor, awesome job! I'm definitely a nature person and also enjoy going to the national parks with my family. Seeing the redwood trees in California for the first time was a memorable experience for me too! It made me feel so small and really showed the power of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Taylor! Great blog post. I can definitely tell that you got the extroverted side from your mother. I love how you added that your mom taught you to enjoy experiences. That is something I also second as well. A tiger is a great animal to pick. That happens to be my favorite. I look forward to getting to know you this semester.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Random Post 2: Optimization

AMDP Proposal Draft

World We Imagine - Part 1